Monday, September 6, 2010

WEEK 17: Coasting into Fall

Another breezy week of harvesting and processing (another 50 litres of tomato sauce; pickled beans; pickled peppers and strawberry jam on my own focus time) ended with a field trip to a beautiful organic sheep farm, Black Crow, which showed us the happy, pastured, unstressed alternative to the conventional sheep at Black Walnut. A bit of work digging up their potatoes and garlic in the rain, a good hearty lunch, and we were off to shake down some apples from the Sargeant's trees for cider.








The week to come brings big changes- the daughters gone to school, Meghan gone to her sugar testing job in Niagara, the chickens gone to slaughter, and a fall intern, Jen, joining us for the final stretch.

"When you kill a beast, say to him in your heart:
By the same power that slays you, I am too slain, and I too shall be consumed.
For the law that delivers you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand.
Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven."
Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment